Attendance and Lates
Your child's health and well being are at the forefront of our concerns and so we completely understand that some absences cannot be helped. We have a statutory duty to ensure that all of the children have good attendance at school and by working in partnership with you we can strive to achieve the best for your child.
If a child is absent parents/carers must:
- telephone the school as soon as possible, preferably before 9.15 a.m. please. There is also an answerphone where you can leave a message should you wish to ring before 8.30 a.m., on each day of absence, stating the reason for absence.
- Please come and talk to us if you are concerned about the amount of time off your child is having.
If a child is absent we will:
- Telephone parents/carers if we have not heard from you on each day of absence.
- Monitor absence and write to parents to inform you that your child's absence has fallen below the acceptable figure of 95%.
- Discuss strategies for improvement, with parent/carers, before referring the matter to Educational Welfare Officer if the attendance figure falls below acceptable figures.
HOLIDAYS TAKEN DURING TERM TIME
The school does not permit holidays to be taken during term time. Parents should be aware that the law now enforces the position regarding holidays. The Education (Pupil Registration) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2013, which become law on 1st September 2013, state that the Headteacher may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances.
In accordance with the above regulations, requests for leave of absence will be treated sympathetically, but only in exceptional circumstances can they be approved. These must be put into writing to Mrs Pankhania in all circumstances.
It is essential that children arrive on time for school as they will be missing vital learning time if they are late. We start to work on revision with the children as soon as the gates open in the morning at 8.40am. We monitor late marks in the same way that we monitor attendance.
If a child is late parents/carers must:
- telephone the school as soon as possible. There is also an answerphone where you can leave a message should you wish to ring before 8.30 a.m. Stating the reason for being late.
- On arrival at school parents must complete a late register and ensure your child has chosen a dinner option for the day. A reason for lateness must be given at this time and the school office will ask you to clarify if it is not clear.
If a child is continuously late we will:
- Monitor lates and write to parents to inform you of our initial concerns.
- discuss strategies for improvement, with parent/carers, before referring the matter to Educational Welfare Officer if the late figure rises beyond acceptable figures.
Thank you for your support.